The following article was published in the Spring edition of the national magazine “Working Women”
It’s about being YOUR BEST SELF
People whether they be clients or personal friends can tell when we are being fake with them. Do yourself a favour and find out how to get rid of any emotions that may be holding you back.
Have you ever felt swamped in a quagmire of worthlessness, alienation and fear of others finding out who you really are? If so, you have probably been experiencing a dose of the often unspoken emotion of shame.
It can sneak up behind you and stifle your ability to become your best self. Shame is about having secrets, not wanting others to know what lies behind the smooth façade you are presenting to the world. You may fool others for a time but when you stifle your authenticity you eventually hinder the true success that is available to you.
Steps to become your best self:
- Becoming a better observer of yourself is vital, so the first step is to acknowledge the emotion. Be aware of the negative voice in your head, Language creates your reality and the negative voice intensifies the poison that shame brings in its power to humiliate, embarrass and generally lower your self esteem.
- It takes courage to be open about who you are but when you let go of what you think you should be, you will be rewarded for your authenticity as it resonates with the people you wish to influence in your business and personal life.
- You will learn to be compassionate with yourself and know that once you have acknowledged your desire for change it is important to nourish yourself, knowing that it takes time to reconfigure your nervous system in making sustainable change.
- Take care of your body. Shame tends to throw the body into self protection mode, so it is important to observe what is happening with your posture and breathing. A gentle practice such as yoga can help with this.
- Above all, embrace the sisterhood of the wonderful women who will be drawn to this new authentic you. There may be those who, feeling safer in superficiality, may melt out of your life, but you will find strength and sustenance to fulfil your life purpose in a truly wonderful way with vibrant women who rejoice in your success.
Becoming a better observer of who you are will assist you in becoming your best self. Acknowledging that you are allowing your hidden shame to sabotage your business and personal life takes courage and compassion. It is worth the journey!
Author, Speaker, Trainer, Mentor